While not commonly associated with motorcycle accidents, there still exists the possibility that you could be involved in t-bone-style accidents in San Francisco. These accidents are usually associated with normal passenger vehicles, but they can occur with motorcycles as well. Unfortunately, a t-bone motorcycle accident is often more serious and severe, especially for the motorcycle rider.
T-bone motorcycle accidents, also known as broadside or side-impact collisions, are a common occurrence on the streets of San Francisco. They happen when a car or truck collides with a motorcycle on its side. While there is less of a motorcycle to impact, the results can still leave you with mounting medical bills and other damages. Thus, it’s important to understand the various causes of these accidents, and what to do when you find yourself in one.
Contact MJQ Law Today For a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one have been involved in a t-bone motorcycle accident in San Francisco, it’s important to understand your legal options and seek the advice of our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Matthew J. Quinlan. Not only can we help explain your legal options, but we’ll be there with you every step of the way through the recovery process. No one should have to go through a motorcycle accident injury alone, so contact us today to set up a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.
What Is a T-Bone Motorcycle Accident and How Do They Happen in San Francisco?
A t-bone motorcycle accident, also known as a broadside or side-impact collision, occurs when a motorcycle is hit on its side by a car or truck. In San Francisco, these types of accidents happen frequently due to several factors, including:
- Road congestion
- Heavy traffic
- Narrow streets
T-bone motorcycle accidents often occur at intersections or when vehicles are making turns, as they require both the driver of the vehicle and the motorcyclist to be aware of their surroundings and exercise caution.
With these conditions, it’s easy to see how t-bone motorcycle accidents happen so frequently. Still, it’s helpful to understand the more common causes of these accidents. In San Francisco, t-bone motorcycle accidents are commonly caused by the following:
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is a leading cause of t-bone motorcycle accidents in San Francisco. When drivers are texting, talking on the phone, or using their GPS, they may not see a motorcyclist approaching from the side. Similarly, drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol may not have the reaction time necessary to avoid a collision with a motorcycle.
- Failure to yield – Failure to yield is a common cause of t-bone motorcycle accidents in San Francisco. When a motorist fails to yield the right of way to a motorcyclist, they may turn into the path of the motorcycle, causing a broadside collision.
- Driving under the influence – Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are more likely to cause a t-bone motorcycle accident.
- Speeding or reckless driving – Speeding is also a common factor in t-bone motorcycle accidents in San Francisco. Drivers who are traveling too fast for conditions may not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting a motorcycle, particularly at intersections or in congested areas where visibility is limited.
- Poor road conditions – Poor road conditions and hazards on the roadway can also cause t-bone motorcycle accidents in San Francisco. Potholes, debris, and construction can cause a motorcyclist to lose control and collide with a car or truck on its side.
While these are some of the more common conditions and causes of a t-bone motorcycle accident, it’s important to remember that every accident is unique. Thus, the facts and circumstances that surround your accident will likely differ from others. However, one of the most frequent results of a motorcycle accident is injuries.
Injuries In a Typical San Francisco T-Bone Motorcycle Accident
T-bone motorcycle accidents in San Francisco can result in serious and even life-threatening injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
With injuries, it means medical bills and other damages that you’ll need to recover from. In order to do this, you’ll need to pursue a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company. In California, liability is typically determined by examining the facts of the case to determine who was at fault for the accident. In general, liability is determined based on the legal concept of negligence, which includes the following elements:
- Duty of Care – The driver had a duty to operate their vehicle in a safe and reasonable manner, and to take reasonable precautions to avoid causing harm to others on the road.
- Breach of Duty – The driver breached their duty by failing to yield the right of way, speeding, driving while distracted or under the influence, or otherwise engaging in reckless or negligent behavior.
- Causation – The breach of duty by the driver caused the t-bone motorcycle accident in question.
- Damages – The t-bone motorcycle accident in question resulted in injuries and other losses for you.
In a t-bone motorcycle accident, liability may be attributed to the driver who made a left-hand turn and failed to yield to the motorcycle rider who had the right of way. This can occur if the driver failed to signal properly, misjudged the speed of the motorcycle, or failed to see the motorcycle due to a blind spot or other obstruction.
While it may seem straightforward, motorcycle accident claims can be quite complex, especially if you are trying to pursue a claim on your own. More than likely, you’ll be dealing with health issues and medical treatment to go along with trying to satisfy the insurance company. This is where working with our team can be vital. We can help you focus on your recovery by taking the burden of dealing with the insurance company off of you.
How To Recover Damages in a San Francisco T-Bone Motorcycle Accident Claim
With liability determined, you have the legal right to pursue a claim for your injuries and other damages. Recovering damages in a San Francisco t-bone motorcycle accident claim can be a complex process, and it is important to have the guidance of one of our experienced lawyers who can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights.
Generally speaking, there are two ways to pursue damages after a t-bone motorcycle accident:
Insurance claim – By filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, you can provide documentation and evidence of your damages. The insurance company may offer a settlement, which our team can help you evaluate and negotiate.
Civil lawsuit – If a settlement cannot be reached or the settlement offer is not sufficient to cover your damages, you may need to file a lawsuit in court. With our experience, we can fully and effectively represent you in court and present your case to a judge or jury.
The damages available in a San Francisco t-bone motorcycle accident can include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Punitive damages, in cases from the at-fault driver was excessively negligent.
Like other accidents, the damages that are available to you in a San Francisco t-bone motorcycle accident will vary depending on the specific facts of your case and the severity of your injuries. Another reason it’s important to consider working with our experienced team of motorcycle accident lawyers is to make sure that your claim remains strong and that you can pursue every form of support and benefits that are available to you.
MJQ Law Will Stand With You After a San Francisco T-Bone Motorcycle Accident
At The Law Office of Matthew J. Quinlan, we know how devastating a t-bone motorcycle accident can be. When you have been in one of these unfortunate accidents in San Francisco, at the very least you will be dealing with injuries and damage to your property. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable San Francisco motorcycle accident lawyers can help you through this difficult process. Whether you decide to file an insurance claim or lawsuit, we will make sure that you have the evidence and proof necessary to recover the compensation that’s owed to you.
If you’ve been in a t-bone motorcycle accident in San Francisco, contact us today for a free consultation.