When you’re riding your motorcycle in San Francisco, it should be a rewarding, fun experience. Our city’s beautiful scenery offers a great opportunity for riding a motorcycle. But unfortunately, riding a motorcycle is also quite dangerous. There are a number of different hazards on San Francisco’s roads for motorcyclists, usually from drivers in cars and other vehicles.
One of the most common types of motorcycle accidents you’ll encounter is a sideswipe. While a sideswipe can be extremely devastating when two cars are involved, a sideswipe accident involving a motorcycle can be even more damaging for a motorcyclist. When you find yourself in a sideswipe motorcycle accident, you need the skill and competence of the Law Offices of Matthew J. Quinlan on your side.
Contact MJQ Law Today For a Free Consultation
At The Law Offices of Matthew J. Quinlan, our dedicated personal injury lawyers are committed to holding at-fault drivers accountable for the pain and damage they cause in motorcycle accidents.
If you have been in a San Francisco sideswipe motorcycle accident, contact us today for a free consultation.
How Do Sideswipe Motorcycle Accidents Happen in San Francisco?
When there is a sideswipe motorcycle accident in San Francisco, you can generally assume that it occurred because the driver of the car was being negligent. There are a number of different factors that go into a sideswipe motorcycle accident, but the overriding reason is that motorcyclists are difficult to see and often ride right in a driver’s blind spot. Still, here are some of the more common causes of sideswipe accidents:
- Blind spot accidents – motorcycles have a much smaller profile than a normal car. Because of this sleek design and the fact that they are often in the driver’s blind spot, other drivers have a hard time seeing them when they’re changing lanes. The vast majority of sideswipe motorcycle accidents occur in this way.
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is incredibly common on San Francisco’s roads. When a driver is distracted by their phone or some other influence on the inside of their car, they can sideswipe a person on a motorcycle. Being alert is one of the most important things a driver can do to avoid a sideswipe accident.
- Driving under the influence – Driving under the influence is dangerous in any situation, but especially when a motorcycle is involved. Motorcycles are ultra maneuverable and able to move at high speeds, meaning that other drivers may not have as much time to react when they’re impaired or not expecting to encounter them.
- Fatigued driving – Driving when fatigued is never a good idea. When driving after a lack of sleep, long periods of driving, and certain medications. Fatigued driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving, as it can impair a person’s judgment, reaction time, and ability to stay alert.
- Aggressive driving – Speeding, driving recklessly, or road rage can all contribute to sideswipe motorcycle accidents. When a person is angry, they can’t think clearly and may act more aggressively and cause an accident.
While these common causes of sideswipe motorcycle accidents involve drivers in other cars, there are some steps you can take if you’re on a motorcycle to at least reduce the risk of being in one of these devastating accidents.
How Can I Avoid a Sideswipe Motorcycle Accident in San Francisco?
Like any accident, there is no way to totally prevent a sideswipe motorcycle accident. The very nature of an accident means that it is an unexpected event. Moreover, you can only account for your own visibility and movement while on your motorcycle. Thus, when another driver decides to act negligently or recklessly, you may fall victim to an accident that you had no control over. , At the same time, the elements that you do have control over can reduce the risk of being in a sideswipe motorcycle accident. This includes:
- Wearing high-visibility clothing and proper safety equipment
- Utilizing lights and signal indicators
- Drawing attention to yourself
- Being aware of blind spots
- Following traffic laws
As with any accident, focusing on the elements that are in your control–your visibility, driving safely, etc.–can greatly reduce your risk of being in an accident in the first place. At the same time, a motorcycle accident can happen at any time. As such, you’ll need to be prepared.
What Can I Recover In a San Francisco Sideswipe Motorcycle Accident Claim?
There are two elements to a sideswipe motorcycle accident in San Francisco: injuries and compensation. Like any other accident, the driver that is negligent and caused the crash is responsible for covering the damages. Injuries are extremely common in motorcycle accidents, and a sideswipe accident is no exception. Some of the more common injuries that occur in these accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Back, neck, and spine injuries
- Contusions, cuts, scrapes, and burns
- Damage to joints, especially knees, elbows, or shoulders
- Organ damage, internal bleeding
- Amputation of limbs
Every accident is unique, so sideswipe motorcycle accidents in San Francisco have different levels of severity of the injury. However, any injury can have far-reaching implications for you moving forward in your life. That’s why it’s important to make sure that you are able to get the most amount of support and benefits available to you.
With that in mind, you may have to consider California’s comparative negligence standard. Under this rule, any percentage of fault you share in the accident reduces the percentage that you can recover in a claim. Still, you have the ability to recover damages in a claim. Among the damages that are available in a San Francisco sideswipe motorcycle accident claim include:
- Medical bills and costs
- Costs of treatment and therapy
- Lost wages
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
While all of these damages are available, the amount you ultimately receive in a claim depends on the circumstances of your particular accident. The more serious your injuries and damages, the more you could potentially recover. In order to get the most out of your accident claim, make sure to work with our team at MJQ Law.
Contact Trusted Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in San Francisco Today
Sideswipe motorcycle accidents in San Francisco can be devastating and leave you and your family with catastrophic injuries. At MJQ Law, our motorcycle accident lawyers have years of combined experience and a passion for helping sideswipe motorcycle accident victims and their families during these difficult times.
Not only can we provide you with top-rated legal services for your claim, but we also provide you with much-needed support and validation to face the challenge of going up against the insurance company. Holding the at-fault parties accountable and making sure every client is totally satisfied is our top priority. If you have been in a sideswipe motorcycle accident in San Francisco, contact us today for a free consultation.