Do I Need to Fill Out an SR-1 Form After a San Francisco Accident?

Do I Have a Case?

If you are in a traffic accident in San Francisco, you’ll usually need to alert the California DMV within 10 days. This is a requirement if the accident caused at least $1,000 in damage or if there was an injury involved. You’ll report your accident by filling out an SR-1 form.

San Francisco roads and freeways are a constant source of danger for all drivers in the Bay Area. It’s important that collision victims are supported as they go through recovery and seek repairs for their vehicles. They’ll also need to make sure they report their accident properly to avoid fines and other penalties. There are further instructions below for finding and filling out an SR-1 Form.

Filling out an SR-1 Form After a California Accident

You’ll have 10 days to alert the DMV of your accident after it occurs. It’s critical to remember that the officer who responds to your collision will not fill an SR-1 for you.

You’ll find the Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California (SR-1) form on the California DMV website. You can fill it out online, or print out a copy, and fill it out. You can also pick up an SR-1 at any DMV field office or CHP office.

You must fill out an SR-1 form in the following circumstances:

  • The property damage (car damage) totaled $1,000 or more for at least one driver.
  • Someone was injured in the accident. Even a slight injury would mean you’d need to report it to the DMV.
  • Someone was killed in the accident.

To fill out your form you should have your driver’s license information and license plate information handy. You’ll also want your insurance information and the other driver’s insurance information.

Who Can File My SR-1 Form After an Accident?

You can fill out your own SR-1 form. Some insurance agents fill out SR-1 forms for their clients. You should check with your car insurance company before you try to submit a form.

If you hire a California car accident lawyer for your case, your lawyer could fill out this form for you. But remember the 10-day deadline. If you don’t contact and hire a lawyer quickly, you should plan on filling out the form yourself.

Failing to fill out the form could prevent you from filing an accident claim if you are injured or if you need help to repair or replace your car. California can also suspend your license and issue other penalties.

If you avoided filling out an SR-1 form to hide a criminal act, perhaps a hit-and-run, you could face criminal charges and even jail time.

Who Else Should I Notify After an Accident?

You should always alert your own car insurance provider on the day of your accident. You don’t want your insurer to first hear about a crash from a police officer or the other driver involved. The other driver may immediately call your insurer claiming you were at fault. Your insurer should be fully informed of what happened.

If a local police officer or the California Highway Patrol (CHP) didn’t respond to your accident, you’ll also need to alert law enforcement about your collision. If this were the case, you’d need to submit a written report to the appropriate office within 24 hours. You can contact your local police department or the CHP at  1-800-TELL-CHP (1-800-835-5247).

Getting Help After a San Francisco Car Accident
After a major accident, you may have more to worry about than filling out some forms. You may be dealing with a traumatic injury. If you’ve suffered a serious injury and another driver was to blame, it’s a good idea to talk over your case with a skilled San Francisco Car Accident Lawyer.

Contact The Law Offices of Matthew J. Quinlan for a free, no-obligation traffic accident case consultation. This is a no-risk way to find out what your injury may be worth and how to make sure a car insurance company can’t avoid accepting full financial responsibility.