When you’re out driving in San Francisco, you have to be aware of many different things. From your own driving to hazards in the roadway itself, there is any number of factors that can lead to various types of accidents.
One of the most common types of car accidents that you could be involved in is of the rear-end variety. Data from The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that rear-end accidents accounted for:
- 1,457,155 (27.8%) of the 5,250,837 car accidents in 2020.
The consequences of rear-end accidents are immense. Injuries, damage to your car, and ongoing medical issues can all result from one of these accidents. If this happens to you, it’s important to understand what you need to do to recover, both physically and financially.
MJQ Law Can Help San Francisco Rear-End Accident Victims
At The Law Offices of Matthew J. Quinlan, our team of experienced San Francisco car accident lawyers will be there for you when you need it most. Being injured in a rear-end accident is never ideal, but we can help you figure out who is responsible and how to hold them accountable. To learn more about your legal rights and options after one of these accidents, contact us today for a free consultation.
What Causes Rear-End Accidents in San Francisco?
Like any major city, there are certain conditions and factors that lead to rear-end accidents in San Francisco. Whether they happen in one of the city’s more crowded areas like Fisherman’s Wharf or Market Street, or along the Central Freeway, rear-end accidents are quite common. Not only that but there are several different causes of these accidents, including:
- Distracted driving – One of the most common causes of rear-end accidents is distracted driving. Drivers who are distracted by their phones, food, or passengers may not be paying attention to the road ahead, which can lead to a collision.
- Tailgating – Following too closely behind the vehicle in front is another frequent cause of rear-end accidents. If the lead vehicle needs to stop suddenly, the trailing vehicle may not have enough time to react and stop, resulting in a collision.
- Speeding – Excessive speed can also contribute to rear-end collisions. If a driver is traveling too fast and needs to stop suddenly, they may not be able to do so in time to avoid a collision.
- Poor visibility – Weather conditions such as fog, rain, or darkness can impair visibility, making it harder for drivers to see the road ahead and stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Vehicle malfunction – Sometimes, the cause of a rear-end accident is a faulty brake system in one of the vehicles involved. If a driver’s brakes fail, they may not be able to stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Road conditions – Poor road conditions, such as potholes, debris, or uneven pavement, can also contribute to rear-end collisions. Drivers may not be able to stop in time if they hit a pothole or other obstacle in the road.
- Driving under the influence – Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can impair a driver’s ability to react in time to avoid a collision, making rear-end accidents more likely to occur.
No matter what causes the rear-end accident in question, there are likely to be serious physical and financial consequences for you or your loved ones. While every rear-end accident has its own unique circumstances, understanding what consequences can result can help better prepare you in the event you find yourself involved in one of them.
Consequences of San Francisco Rear-End Accidents
Rear-end accidents in San Francisco can have significant consequences, both for the drivers involved and for any passengers or pedestrians who may have been affected. Here are some of the most common consequences of rear-end accidents:
- Property damage – Rear-end accidents can cause significant damage to the vehicles involved, including dents, scratches, and more severe damage that may require extensive repairs or even replacement.
- Injuries – On top of the damage to your vehicle, rear-end accidents can also result in a number of different injuries, ranging from minor cuts and bruises to more severe injuries such as:
- Head trauma
- Broken bones
In some cases, these injuries may require hospitalization, surgery, or ongoing medical treatment.
- Lost income – If you’re a driver or passenger that’s injured in a rear-end accident, you may be forced to take time off work to recover, resulting in lost wages and a financial burden on your family.
- Emotional trauma – Not only do rear-end accidents cause physical injuries, they can also have emotional consequences for victims, such as:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), especially if the accident was severe or involved a fatality.
- Insurance implications – Rear-end accidents frequently have implications for insurance rates, as drivers who are found to be at fault may see their premiums increase. Additionally, insurance companies may try to avoid paying out claims, leading to disputes and legal action.
Under California law, if one driver is found to be at fault for the accident, they may be liable for damages, including:
- Property damage
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages, and other related costs
When you’ve been injured in a rear-end accident, it’s important to work with an experienced team of San Francisco car accident lawyers that can help walk you through your legal options so that you can take the necessary steps to obtain the benefits and support available to you.
How Our San Francisco Rear-End Accident Lawyers Can Help You
There are a number of important steps you’ll need to take after being in a San Francisco rear-end accident. While your top priority should always be your health and safety, there is an extensive recovery process that you’ll have to go through to make sure you get the compensation available to you. In order to get this, though, you’ll want to make sure to work with our team. We can help you in several ways, including:
- Provide legal guidance – Simply put, our lawyers can provide expert legal guidance and explain your legal rights and options after a rear-end accident. We can help you understand the claims process, insurance coverage, and other legal considerations.
- Investigate the accident – Through our experience and resources, we have developed a proven track record of success that starts with conducting an investigation into the cause of the accident and collecting evidence, such as witness statements, police reports, and medical records, to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiate with insurance companies – Possibly the most crucial aspect of our representation of you in an accident claim is that we take the lead on negotiating with insurance companies to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages. We can advocate for your rights and protect your interests during the claims process.
- Represent you in a lawsuit – If necessary, our lawyers can represent you in court and argue your case before a judge or jury. We have the experience and expertise to litigate even the most complex rear-end accident cases and work tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Help you recover damages – The ultimate goal of this entire process is to help you recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and other related costs associated with the accident. Our lawyers can help you pursue compensation for any damages you’ve suffered, and can even help you find alternate ways to achieve this.
- Provide peace of mind – Most importantly, our lawyers can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. We understand the stress and anxiety that can accompany a rear-end accident, and we work to alleviate your concerns and ensure you receive the support you need to recover and move forward.
Going through the recovery process alone after a San Francisco rear-end accident can quickly become overwhelming. That’s why our team takes a great deal of pride in not just our legal services, but our ability to provide vital emotional support for every one of our clients.
Dedicated Legal Guidance From MJQ Law
At The Law Offices of Matthew J. Quinlan, we believe wholeheartedly that you or any rear-end accident victim in San Francisco has the right to excellent and dedicated legal guidance. We take pride in our ability to provide that for our clients and can make sure that your rights are protected throughout the claims process. Our team of experienced and dedicated San Francisco car accident lawyers won’t rest until you receive the compensation and support you deserve. To get started working with our team, contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.