Suffering a traumatic brain injury (TBI) is one of the most severe and debilitating injuries a person can experience. It occurs when an external force, like a blow to the head or a penetrating head injury, injures the brain. The CDC reports that there were approximately 611 TBI-related hospitalizations per day in 2019. These injuries can result from various incidents, including bicycle accidents.
When you consider the sheer amount of bicyclists in San Francisco, the likelihood of suffering one of these devastating injuries isn’t so far-fetched. With such dire consequences, it’s important to understand these injuries and what you can do about them.
Free Consultations After San Francisco Bicycle Accidents
In San Francisco, if you or a loved one experiences a TBI after a bicycle accident, seeking experienced legal support is crucial. The Law Office of Matthew J. Quinlan can provide the help you need. Our dedicated team of San Francisco bicycle accident lawyers has extensive experience assisting clients during such challenging times.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your options.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Brain injuries can be traumatic due to the delicate nature of the human brain. Even a minor injury to the brain can be severely debilitating, resulting in a condition known as traumatic brain injury (TBI). TBIs occur when external physical forces, like those common in bicycle accidents, cause damage to the brain.
TBIs don’t have a quick fix, and assessing the full extent of the injury can be difficult because they often lead to serious, long-term consequences for the victim. Furthermore, diagnosing and treating TBIs is not a simple or straightforward process.
Various types of TBIs exist, with some of the most common being:
- Swelling of the brain (edemas)
- Blood clotting inside the brain (hematomas)
- Hemorrhaging inside the brain
- Fracture of the skull
The symptoms of TBIs vary among individuals, as each person’s body reacts differently to the trauma and brain injury. Common TBI symptoms include:
- Memory loss
- Changes in vision or hearing
- Sleep problems
- Slurred speech, loss of words
- Emotional changes, depression, etc.
When diagnosed with a TBI, it is crucial to be completely honest about any underlying factors that may contribute to the injury. One of the most challenging aspects of TBIs is that their symptoms can have far-reaching implications, likely worsening over time.
Traumatic Brain Injuries in Bicycle Accidents in San Francisco
Obviously, the nature of bicycle accidents in San Francisco frequently leads to TBIs. In most San Francisco bicycle accidents, cyclists are vulnerable to head injuries due to the lack of protection and other factors, including:
- Collisions with vehicles – Bicycle accidents involving collisions with cars, trucks, or other motor vehicles are a significant cause of TBIs. When a cyclist is hit by a vehicle, the impact can result in a forceful blow to the head, leading to head injuries.
- Falls – Cyclists may fall from their bicycles due to various reasons, such as uneven road surfaces, potholes, debris, or sudden stops. These falls can cause the rider’s head to hit the ground or other objects, resulting in TBIs.
- Bicycle defects – Sometimes, defects in bicycles, such as faulty brakes or steering mechanisms, can lead to accidents and subsequent head injuries.
- Distracted or negligent drivers – Drivers who are distracted, intoxicated, or negligent may fail to notice cyclists on the road, leading to collisions that can cause TBIs.
- Road conditions – Poor road conditions, including potholes, uneven surfaces, and inadequate cycling lanes, can contribute to accidents that result in TBIs.
Reducing the Risk of TBIs
It’s important for cyclists to take precautionary measures to reduce the risk of TBIs. While it’s impossible to outright prevent these accidents and injuries, taking precautions will at least help you reduce the risk. You can do this by:
- Wearing a helmet – Helmets can significantly reduce the severity of head injuries in the event of an accident, so wearing one is vital to reducing the risk of a TBI after an accident.
- Following traffic rules – Obey traffic signals and signs, and use designated bike lanes when available. Adhering to traffic rules can help prevent collisions with vehicles and other cyclists.
- Staying visible – Use reflective clothing or accessories, especially during low-light conditions, to increase visibility to drivers and pedestrians.
- Avoiding distractions – Stay focused on the road and avoid distractions like using a phone while cycling. Distracted cycling can increase the risk of accidents.
- Riding defensively – Assume that drivers may not see you and be prepared to take evasive action if needed. Be cautious at intersections and always yield the right-of-way when necessary.
- Checking your bike – Regularly inspect your bicycle for any mechanical issues or defects, such as faulty brakes or worn-out tires. Properly maintain your bike to ensure it is in good working condition.
- Being mindful of road conditions – Watch out for potholes, uneven surfaces, and other road hazards that could cause you to lose control of your bicycle.
Not surprisingly, a TBI is one of the most difficult and challenging injuries you can suffer in a San Francisco bicycle accident. Because there are such strong implications for these injuries, it’s important to fully understand what you need to do to recover–and what your legal options are in San Francisco.
Dealing With a TBI After a San Francisco Bicycle Accident
Unfortunately, the potential consequences of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) are immense. Alongside physical injuries and complications, the mental and emotional toll can be equally significant. Another major concern with TBIs revolves around the substantial medical expenses associated with them, not just immediately after the injury but potentially for the rest of your life. Although each TBI case is unique, some common costs include:
- Ambulance services
- Emergency room care
- In-home care
- Surgery costs
- Long-term hospital care
- Diagnostic expenses
- Medical specialists’ fees
- Loss of future income due to inability to work
- Property damage or vehicle repair
- Prescription medication or medical device costs
Facing a traumatic brain injury is undoubtedly a daunting challenge, and when you factor in the intricate medical and insurance procedures, it can become truly overwhelming. However, with a carefully crafted treatment strategy and important legal guidance from skilled San Francisco bicycle accident lawyers, achieving progress and eventual recovery is within reach.
What Can Our San Francisco Bicycle Accident Lawyers Do For You After a TBI?
When faced with a TBI after a San Francisco bicycle accident, having the support of our team at MJQ Law becomes crucial for you and your loved ones as you move forward. The complex nature of TBI cases demands expert guidance through the claims process, and equally important is the validation and emotional support necessary to endure the journey.
TBI cases require unique handling, even within the legal realm. As a victim, you’ll need special care due to the mental and emotional complications that hinder event recollection and memory of critical aspects of their claim. Fortunately, our team of bicycle accident lawyers has a wealth of experience in helping clients with TBIs and other severe injuries. By working closely with you and your loved ones, we’ll adopt a well-structured plan to pursue your case, which typically includes the following:
- Assisting you in gathering and analyzing medical records.
- Referring you to brain injury specialists for specialized care.
- Consulting with brain injury experts and specialists to assess the status of your bicycle accident.
- Determining the responsible party or entity at fault for your bicycle accident.
- Negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance provider.
- Filing a lawsuit on your behalf.
- Handling the day-to-day responsibilities of managing your bicycle accident claim.
Understandably, most TBI victims may feel lost and uncertain about where to find the support they need. TBIs demand not only extensive medical care but also substantial legal assistance. Additionally, patience and understanding play significant roles throughout the process. At Robert MJQ Law, we prioritize providing our clients with all of the above.
Legal Support and Guidance From Experienced San Francisco Bicycle Accident Lawyers
At MJQ Law, our team of San Francisco bicycle accident lawyers is dedicated to delivering positive outcomes for our clients. We diligently work to provide every client, especially those with TBIs, with top-tier legal representation.
We understand the significant impact a serious injury like TBI can have on your life. Our goal is to assist you in obtaining the financial, medical, and emotional support you need. We offer free consultations to accident victims dealing with traumatic brain injuries. Contact us today for a free consultation to begin the process of getting the help you require.