In San Francisco, when people have bike accidents, one of the most painful and difficult bone fractures to recover from is a rib fracture. With more people and traffic in the city, rib fractures are becoming more common.
A rib fracture happens when one or more ribs break, and it can range from small cracks to severe breaks needing surgery. Besides the intense pain, these fractures can cause other problems that affect your health and well-being. Getting medical help right away and making a plan for recovery is extremely important.
Contact MJQ Law Today For a Free Consultation
If you or someone you care about gets injured in a bicycle accident in San Francisco, it’s crucial to get help from experienced bicycle accident lawyers. At The Law Offices of Matthew J. Quinlan, we are dedicated to providing compassionate and effective legal guidance to help you get the compensation you deserve.
Our team of skilled San Francisco bicycle accident lawyers knows the ins and outs of California law and can handle the complexities of the legal system for you.
Schedule a free consultation with us today to find out how we can help you seek justice. Remember, time is important in these cases, so don’t wait to get the legal assistance you need.
Bicycle Accidents and Broken Ribs in San Francisco
Broken ribs are common in various bicycle accidents that happen in San Francisco. The midsection of your body is particularly vulnerable to injury due to the impact of these accidents. Some scenarios where broken ribs can occur include:
- Collision with a vehicle – When a bicyclist collides with a car, truck, or other vehicle, the impact can forcefully thrust the rider’s chest into the vehicle or the ground, resulting in broken ribs.
- Fall from the bicycle – If a bicyclist falls from their bike and lands on their chest, the impact with the ground or other objects can cause rib fractures.
- Striking objects – Bicyclists may collide with stationary objects like walls, poles, or barriers, leading to rib injuries.
- Bicycle malfunctions – Mechanical issues or defects in the bicycle, like brake failure or chain breakage, may cause accidents that result in broken ribs.
- Collisions with pedestrians – Bicyclists involved in accidents with pedestrians may suffer broken ribs if they hit the pedestrian or the ground with force.
Common Broken Rib Injuries
It’s important to note that broken ribs can be severe and may cause additional complications, making it essential for injured bicyclists to seek immediate medical attention after an accident. From there, the treatment and prognosis depend on the type of broken rib or fracture that has occurred.
- Simple fracture – The rib bone breaks but remains in place, which is the most common type of broken rib injury.
- Displaced fracture – The rib bone breaks and moves out of its normal position, potentially causing damage to internal organs and more pain.
- Multiple rib fractures – In some cases, more than one rib can be broken, leading to difficulty in breathing and significant pain.
- Flail chest – This occurs when adjacent ribs break in multiple places, causing a section of the ribcage to detach, making breathing difficult.
- Puncture injuries – Broken ribs can puncture a lung, resulting in a collapsed lung or bleeding in the chest cavity.
After a bicycle accident, it can be challenging to assess the severity of your rib injury. Seeking immediate medical attention is crucial. Broken ribs make breathing difficult, and medical help is vital, especially if you have a puncture injury or internal bleeding from the rib fracture.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in San Francisco
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary, especially if you or a loved one suffers broken ribs. If it happens in San Francisco, there are important things you should do to stay safe and protect your rights. Here are the steps:
- Check for injuries and get medical help – First, make sure everyone involved is okay and not hurt badly. In accidents where ribs are broken, you should immediately call for medical attention.
- Move to a safe place – If it’s safe to do so, move your car to the side of the road to avoid more accidents.
- Exchange information – Share your contact and insurance details with others involved in the accident.
- Take photos and videos – Use your phone to take pictures of the accident scene, which can be useful later.
- Contact the insurance company – As soon as you can, you should contact your insurance company to let them know about the accident.
By following these steps, you can ensure safety, know your rights, and handle a bicycle accident better. Once these are taken care of, you should then talk to one of our experienced San Francisco bicycle accident lawyers. We will help you know what you can do legally and protect your rights. Then, we’ll guide you through the next steps.
Bicycle Accident Injury Claims in San Francisco
After a bicycle accident in San Francisco, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries and damages. That said, the recovery process in a San Francisco bicycle accident injury claim isn’t always straightforward. Often, the first step is to figure out who is responsible.
Fault is established by assessing negligence, a legal term that refers to someone’s failure to act responsibly or carefully that results in harm to others.
For instance, if a driver hits a bicyclist because they were not paying attention and didn’t see them, the driver may be considered negligent. They should have been attentive and followed traffic rules, but their lack of attention led to the accident and harm to the bicyclist.
However, fault can also lie with other parties in a San Francisco bicycle accident, such as:
- The manufacturer of faulty bicycle parts.
- The government agency responsible for maintaining the road or bike path.
- A pedestrian who was jaywalking.
Even you, as the bicycle rider, can be at fault under California’s “comparative negligence” rule. This rule reduces your overall recovery by the same percentage of fault you contributed to the accident.
Whether you’ve suffered a rib fracture or other broken ribs, filing a claim can help cover your expenses. Typically, this is done either through an insurance claim or a lawsuit, or even both. Here’s what our team can help you recover in a San Francisco bicycle accident claim:
- Medical expenses – You can get compensation for all medical bills related to your broken ribs, including hospital visits, medications, and rehabilitation costs.
- Lost wages – If your broken ribs force you to miss work, you can claim compensation for the wages you’ve lost and future earnings if you can’t work anymore.
- Property damage – If your bicycle is damaged, you can get money for repairs or the bicycle’s fair market value if it’s not able to be repaired.
- Pain and suffering – You can receive compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of life – If your broken ribs prevent you from enjoying activities you loved before the accident, you can claim damages for this loss.
- Punitive damages – In rare cases, you may be eligible for punitive damages to punish the at-fault party for severe misconduct.
The amount you can recover depends on the extent of your broken ribs and damages. Handling the claims process can be tough, so it’s essential to work with experienced bicycle accident lawyers like us. We can guide you through the process and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Focus On Your Recovery With MJQ Law
After a bicycle accident with a rib fracture in San Francisco, your recovery is essential. You’ll need medical care, treatment, and time to heal physically. But it’s equally important to focus on your legal recovery. Our team at MJQ Law can help by making sure your injury claim is strong and successful. If you want to start the recovery process, contact us for a free consultation today.